Tuesday 13 September 2016

The Final Countdown



As I begin this update, I can see in another window the Tinpot  Ironmen Countdown clock ticking away. It currently says 4 days and  15 hours to go until Ironman Wales. That can’t be right, last time I checked we had ages to go. Ah I see what happened I set it up wrong, we’ve actually got 4 days and 16 hours until Ironman Wales. Phew, I was starting to panic there.
I don’t want to start waxing rhapsodic on this Ironman foolishness yet, as its not done, but I’ve been very aware recently that we’re heading into the final straight. This week is all taper and trying to conquer the nagging voice in my head telling me I haven’t prepared enough.  Whether that voice is correct or not remains to be seen but it’s too late now.  Stay tuned to see how the taper is looking


As ever yesterday was rest  day and quizzy Monday. Only Connect as the brain workout for the week, aiming for a healthy mind in a healthy body.

This morning was scheduled for a 45 minute ride and as usual, I failed to get up in time. Once again, I’ll have to roll it into another one of the training sessions. Possibly tomorrow evening or I could be optimistic and put it in for Wednesday morning.

This evening it’s the last outdoor swim with Yorkshire Open Water Swimmers until after Ironman. 2200 metres, so 3 laps of the big course and then a cheeky little lap.
So whatever happens with the bike, Wednesday evening has a 5 mile run scheduled and then off to book club.

Thursday,we’re meant to be travelling down to Gloucester and I’m supposed to do a 30 minute bike and a mile swim. Will try and do these straight  after work and hopefully be on the road by 6.

Then of Friday, we’re heading to Tenby. My taper says 30 minute bike on Friday and 30 minute run on Saturday, but hoping to get some sea swim time in too.

Then Sunday-The Big one.

So between now and 4 days and some hours time, I need to get all my kit together, work out my food plan for Tenby, pop to Decathlon to buy many many many Gels and decide if it’s worth keeping the aero bars on the bike.  I also need to get some sleep, finish the book club book for tomorrow and do the washing up. (Sorry,love.)
I want to send out another holler about SCOPE. Now for much of this Ironman Quest/Journey/Debacle it may have seemed like there was no reason for it. I am however fundraising for all the good work that Scope do.


SCOPE, in case you were unaware, exists to make this country a place where disabled people have the same opportunities as everyone else. So maybe if we raise enough we’ll be able to make it easier for disabled people to go to the pub rather than the cinema and foolishly agree to enter an  Ironman with their mates, just like The Tinpot Ironmen did.
 If you’d like to sponsor me for this worthy course, just follow the link here: https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/tinpotironmanrhys 


No comments:

Post a Comment